Glo

Glo, 
the Native American grandma 
that made having an exhausting yard sale worthwhile. 

She wandered apparently lost in to my yard on the look out for a particular garage sale. She did not know then that she was exactly where she was supposed to be! Exhausted she sat down and started to talk about her grand kids and then her life. Almost ready to leave, she spotted a two-piece outfit. I insisted she try it on and after some protest she did. Glow was full of surprise and delight to have discovered an unexpected, almost perfect fit.
All giggles and wiggles we experimented with my long silver shawl and matching silver hat. Finally, I remembered a pretty teal lacy blouse, a bit too tight, but a piece of clothing that might serve Glo as motivation to go back to singing and dancing to her beloved Raggae music, despite a daughter not thinking such befitting to a woman of her age. Does she not look like a million bucks? Grandma is ready to attend the School of American Indian Art's graduation where she works as a teacher. Graciously Glo allowed me to capture her on my camera. Here she tried hard to look serious (although I loved her warm and goofy smile.)

The clothes (except the hat) were such an obvious match, they belonged, so I gave them to her  along with a few trinkets for her grandkids, still toddlers. The wonder of it is she accepted with grace. Giving things away I learned during my yard sale is not all that easy, some just can not accept what is given to them. Glo is a special woman with stories to tell, some of them not too pretty, so she thought she may tell those to me first. I thought I might give her my old iBook so she can write those tales of hers down on her own computer. She expressed determination to leave her legacy for her children and grandchildren. We parted, no longer strangers, with a warm and long hug. 

Glo made an exhausting yard sale exhilarating. Passing things on is only in part about money, more so it is about giving, sharing, honoring things and people, about finding good homes for items no longer needed, rather then contributing to an ever growing heap of garbage in our throw-away  modern societies, it is about living green and recycling as much as it can be a show of kindness and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment