Sumo Will Be Missed


Sumo, still professionally groomed in March 2007
when he joined our household.


Sumo looked so cute & cool in his cooling Koolhat 
that holds moisture and matches his red Doggles
protective eye gear intended for riding on 2 wheels.


Isabella at Sumo's side supporting him in his discomfort 
as he was breaking in his brand new Doggles 
for a ride on bike the very next day.

Isabella was a great teacher to Sumo,
showed him how to sit, lie down, in short the ropes,
with enthusiasm and kindness.


Sumo used to be a vigorous chewer.


Sumo gave me attitude on our first extended trip 
as he discovered that muddy paws are not allowed in the van.


Cozy with Isabella under a beach blanket 
as we returned from our trip to Colorado in our VW van.


In his element at the dog park off-lead
up while I am walking down in the arroyo.


Ahead as usual
looking down & across the arroyo at our dog park.


Happy pups romping off-lead at our huge 
and very diverse dog park often twice a day for years.


We loved that lower, less busy trail, but not during summer
when the likelihood of encounters with snakes increased. 


For the last few years, we walked more in the Railyard park 
which greatly increased chances for chasing bunnies & squirrels.


February 13th Sumo past away.
He had a big tumor in his belly.
Probably Kidney Cancer.

March 2017 the vet did not expect for Sumo to live to June.
I believe CBD oil helped Sumo live until yesterday.
He was doing so well in December/January 
I had gotten hopeful we might have yet some time together.

Sumo amazed me with his adventurous spirit. 
Where Isabella-girl might hesitate, 
he would move forward, eager to explore.

Sumo was all about adventure.
Escaping the confines of the neighbor's yard
exploring our neighborhood on his own,
that is how we were gifted with Sumo.
In this, he always reminded me of the Maltese breed
those little dogs that roamed the streets of Malta. 
They were not lap dogs originally!

Sumo used his size to his advantage
as when ducking under to avoid eager, bigger dogs. 

Our little Yorkie/Poodle/Maltese was loved,
not just by our Isabella who was besotten with Sumo,
whom she followed enthusiastically,
who was the apple of her eye.
Loved not just by our Pretty Kitty that stalked Sumo
 to his very last night - for cuddles.

Sumo attracted the interest of all kinds of dogs
often to Sumo's dismay.
Sumo was foremost a hunter and explorer, 
relationships ranged secondary,
except for a few chosen ones.
Sumo was such a male.


Sumo was more discerning in his affections.
Shames was one of his favorites.
Sumo just could not resist this little, white, fluffy cutie.
Sumo would try to attach himself to one, 
male or female, either would do, and try to mount it.
This made for hilarious chases across the big field of our dog park.


Sumo would show his enthusiasm for my home cooked meals 
by jumping & twirling up into the air, cute.

Sumo loved fruits, including apples, banana, tangerines, 
even pineapple, but surprised me by a liking for asparagus.

Meat dishes of course ruled.
I learned to enjoy preparing meals for my fury buddies 
and no longer minded the handling of dead flesh too much.

Sumo hated egg whites. 
Adamantly refused, at first, but he got over it.

For years, Sumo would compare his dish with that of Isabella.
I made it a point to be fair to them to the best of my ability.
This got a bit trickier as they grew older 
and their needs changed and diverged more.

Sumo at last in his preferred sunny spot
where he passed on with Isabella by his side.


SUMO
October 4, 2005 - February 13, 2018

I managed to borrow a shovel from an unknown neighbor
and buried Sumo in our yard
where 20 years earlier our cat was buried as well. 

My choice to treat Sumo's passing 
as an inevitable, natural event, rather than a disease
feels right to me.

Since Sumo's death, 
I have been in a frenzy of activity
trying to set things in order, 
trying to mark the monumental change 
that just occurred. 

The floor got a long overdue mopping.
Bedding and towels got washed and changed.
Isabella's new tags finally replaced the old ones.
Records got reordered for each of my furry ones.
I used a retractable lead for today's walk with Isabella.
I arranged for a refill for Isabella's thyroid medication.

I have given Isabella lots of attention - and treats.
She got to lick out lots of tiny containers of Sumo's food,
all of which he had refused in his last 36 hours.
She got to lead on lots of short walks.
Isabella had a great day yesterday, to my surprise.
She seemed more perplexed by my digging in the yard 
than by Sumo's actual passing.

Today she seemed a bit puzzled,
did a lot of sniffing on our walks.
I imagine she noticed still Sumo's scent.

We all slept on our bed together,
something I really needed.
I wanted them near me.



1 comment:

  1. Cats I loved are long gone, but I still talk to some of them as if they were here. It doesn't matter their bodies are gone, there is a part of them that endures, and I have never lost touch with that part. Most organized religions talk about good people going to heaven, but I thing there is a larger spiritual universe into which all living things pass. It is that belief in a one-ness great enough for all that keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete