Effectiveness Due To Kindness

What an effective day it has been, I really love it! I used to have such more often, but not so these days. But today besides getting my new sofa literally only minutes before they were to leave town, after I had only just discovered it after midnight on Craig's list, I got it installed with the able arms and hands of the prior owner, a lady now on her way to resettle in Arizona.

Next the tables turned and I was able to offer my help to an almost 90 year old couple who of course did not wait for my delayed arrival (due to my new sofa) but had already unpacked and gotten slightly irritated with the puzzle of putting together their new King size bed frame. One got to love those independent folks living on their own in nice homes of their own green design. Even if they tend to not want to listen to me and you. So they got the heavy metals unpacked and all lined up and then we fiddled, for hours, but got it done. In with the new and out with the old. It felt good to assist those so capable folks that can not quiet understand why their bodies are no longer the way they used to be. Why keeping a balance with limited eye sight can be so hard, why lifting what used to be nothing had become such a challenge. It's my guess that most old looking folks feel young and wonder what (the fuck) happened!

Back home with the help, not of a kind stranger, but my willing and able friend Emily, a handy-woman, I got my one day bed back up the stairs and installed to my liking. Amazing Emily immediately knew what was the matter with my sliding door, demanded a screw driver and matches to fix what had bothered me for weeks. She also helped me change my leaky rainwater barrel to a new one and fitted the top perfectly to the spout, a feat I had not had the slightest inclination on how to accomplish. 

Blessed are those that help others with their needs and wants. It is so great to share and make a difference in another's life, especially when seasoned with plenty of kindness and laughter. It feels wonderful to no longer have to rely on my X-husband for fixing this, that and the other. I am feeling more willingness to learn, but I also like a bit of acknowledgment in the fact that I must be genetically challenged on the matter of life's practical side. My Dad could not get rid of a spider, never held a tool in his hands to my recollection and seemed to have been born with utterly useless, if handsome hands. Yes, both of my parents had long fingers with well shaped nails, not at all like mine, but hey, at least I make some use of my digits in my profession as a massage therapist.  To each their own, but if we can share and help out each other - all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment