Inequities Remedied

What an effective day it has been, love it! I got the sofa I had only just discovered around midnight on craigslist in by early morning, hours only before the ladies were to leave town. I love the warm wood of this futon frame and am particularly fond of the cabinets on both sides. I always wondered why those spaces would go wasted? My main motivation though for this acquisition has been the inequitable sleeping arrangements in our home of late. My little Sumo-boy insists on sleeping with me. The moment I lie down, no matter the time, he will race towards me in hopes of pressing his back against my side all night long. The kitty will join in the morning, but for Isabella-girl there simply has been no room, my daybed simply is too small and narrow for the four of us. 

For the first 2 1/2 years of living with my furry ones I had no intention of sharing my bed and furniture. I had done all my reading in preparation of Isabella's, my first dog's arrival and got her and each subsequent furry one a nice fluffy white bed of their own. When Sumo joined us about half a year after Isabella's arrival, I was rather harsh in getting him off the furniture, including my table. I started to lose my resolve with the arrival of our Pretty Kitty, our Black Panther, our independent spirit who will hear nothing of others boundaries and preferences. How could I keep my little dog off when the cat took over and made himself comfortable right on top of me? When I strained my back and had trouble moving and walking my pups, that is when I caved in and let Sumo sleep in my arms. While in so many ways he is a real guy, independent, fearless, eager to go out and explore, hunt whatever comes his way, and making cunning use of his small size and large spirit, in some ways he is simply a lap dog looking for the most comfortable spots, be it my or another's lap. I must admit though a little warm fuzzy, furry one can feel very cozy, even healing.

Once Sumo is settled the kitty moves in and I watched many a time with fascination as he keeps on sneaking up at Sumo, driven it seems by a powerful desire to cuddle and rub up against. Isabella almost the size of three Sumos is kinda left out in all this. From the very beginning she has offered her bed, her toys, her food to Sumo, willing to share all she had, but Sumo will have none of sleeping with girls, no matter how small she presses herself in to a far corner of her bed. Sumo seeks closeness to me, the Pretty Kitty and Isabella seek out Sumo. My heart hurts for those twos and this happened way before I ever let this little guy sleep with me, happened almost every night for 1 1/2 years.

So, it is my sincere hope that finally with a big enough bed for the four of us we will all be back in one pack with no seeming preferential treatments. I hold high hopes that this will address my girl's bad mood of late where she seems to have a need to assert herself and test her alpha status with other dogs.
Don't they look like they belong, 
like this has been their spot forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment