Hunting

This is about the hunting, versus farming style of collecting a menagerie of cherished images 'image-cherie'.
Go seize the opportunity, go hunt for images. I realized one fine day that I felt like the Goddess Diana, flat chested, sprite, almost athletic, with ropes across my torso, pups attached to either end, I would leave the comfort of my home for the adventure of hitting the pavement ha, of my 'hood in expectation of finding something of interest to shoot. For a rather retreating, mellow, far from flat chested Cancerian that was a remarkable shift in attitude.  So here I would like to share with you a few examples of images I hunted successfully, even though I am not really in favor of those masculine, aggressive terms and have started to look for alternative expressions.
This must have been the very first time I grabbed an opportunity, fished for my camera and snapped away with the guy staying completely unawares. He had been singing, I smiled, he explained how he had worked long hours on this engine and was looking forward to soaking in the hot tub. He took note of my Isabella-girl and smiled at her while I had the good sense of aiming my Nikon. I love the series of images that emerged from this short encounter.




Here I approached the Railyard like I have done so many times, but come on this powerful visual, woman with yellow work gloves working to set the tracks for the yellow train. It would have been nice to have better zoom, as I was rather far and time was of the essence, still, I always liked the outcome.

I was staring up the cathedral, interested in the hanging of the brand new bells, when this guy sprinted across the pastoral lawn (no dogs allowed) threw his backpack to the ground and knelt down in front of what must have been the most beautiful saint (Kateri Tekakwitha ~1656-1680) in the Christian tradition. It took me a moment to realize this to be a worthwhile moment to immortalize, the man seemed so sincere, soon to run off again with vigor and enthusiasm. I do wonder what he might have prayed for, the love of his live?

A few years later only steps away I almost missed this wedding party. They spilled out of the white decorated truck, disheveled, but very excited looking. One after another straightened their hair, put on their jacket and straightened themselves out as they ascended the stairs to the main entry of the church. They were close and I missed a whole bunch of opportunities, but it was their moment, still check out that kid with the big guys, hand folded on his back, speaking volumes.

Dealing on the plaza is no big secret, still I was almost scared at my own bravery of pointing my camera straight at them and catching the exchange. It's such a familiar scene hanging out on and around the bandstand with dog, dope and guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment