Thanks NPR!



Chet Atkins, a revelation to me, never heard of him until the other day when I happend to come upon NPR's fundraiser on TV. This voice of the singer/song writer, so pure and deep, it got a hold on me, it got my absolute full attention. I could not believe this guy, Chet Atkins, sheds tears as he sings about his Dad and moves the grown men in his audience to cry along with him! A tear jerker of the highest order.

I am grateful to NPR for having once again introduced me to something new, profound and important. And this is what Congress defunds, not the wars, not the corporations, but a public radio station that means the world to us.  Here, in my small, if hip town of the City Different in The Land of Enchantment, we have our own public radio station and it has trouble staying afloat, meeting it expenses and started only recently to ad commercials where there used to be none. We know out in the boonies, public radio will not survive, the funds will not be there, as simple as that. Do we have a skewed sense of what is and is not important? Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment