Post-Apocalyptic Ponderings

False beliefs abound. The non-occurrence of the rapture makes me wonder about those convictions of mine, and yours, that proved to be wrong. 

Last Spring my skin would crawl repeatedly in the evenings after a few hours of sitting at my computer low to the ground. I was convinced my dog's Isabella's pests were jumping ship, or rather host, even though the vet had called them "host-specific" as they did not seem to bother my other two furry companions. When the exterminator told me it was, if not all, mostly all in my mind (after I had payed him the $300 for his service in despair) I was dumbfounded. He fumigated my home with Cedar after a 2 months struggle in fighting the pests daily, for hours. My skin still crawled for a while, but I gave it no longer my attention and my symptoms subsided.

There was also a time about 12 years ago, in transition in the bay area, living in my van that was breaking down repeatedly costing me money I did not make, when I experienced what turned out to be anxiety, but felt like a potential heart attack with symptoms strong enough to have kept me up all night and to have propelled me to the nearest emergency room for the first, and I hope last time ever. Now we know women are often misdiagnosed and heart disease may not get recognized. I did not fully believe the doctor, even after being monitored, but I did chose to change my life style, found a temporary home, started to cook my own meals again instead of eating out all the time and I abstained from stimulants, mainly chocolate and Chai. It worked.

Of course most of us hold limited beliefs that somehow got indoctrinated to us in our childhood. We believe we are no good, not good enough, can't do it. Even Lady Gaga the almost overnight super success admits to such.

So I wonder what outdated beliefs may shape us, you and me, but I really worry which ones operate in our politicians and make them act on totally wrong premises? I feel for those that lost their beliefs with the non-event of the supposed rapture. Our hunger for certainty seems rapacious, never ending, but we would better make it a habit to check on those assumptions of ours for the good of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment