How I broke my fast today

The best Quesadilla ever! Made with greens from our community garden. Leeks and kale never tasted better, plucked fresh last night. I picked only a few of the largest leafs, so the plants keep on growing. Last year nothing was growing at this time, but last winter an experiment got under way that kept plants alive and growing all winter under a plastic cover. Bottles of black water kept enough heat for the one bed to thrive. Really thrilling. Seemingly an old traditional way of growing in our Land of Enchantment. Last year I remember our May 1. unexpected deep freeze. The little bit that was growing in the garden got killed and shriveled up. This year again, today, we have a forecast for another late freeze. This time I sure hope those plants will survive and thrive.

So, I took two sprouted whole wheat tortillas, melted a slice of Pepper Jack cheese on each and then added the kale, leeks and parsley from the garden, stir fried quickly in Sesame oil with half an onion,  2 medium hot green Hatch chili peppers, a bit of fresh ginger and a spritz of Braggs. A bit of extra stir fried greens on the side did not last long and the tomato salsa made a perfect compliment in color and taste. 

This is certainly a very pleasurable way to eat more greens, which is my intention. My motto of 'eat sweets instead of greens' no longer holds water.

No comments:

Post a Comment