MAD & GLAD!


My buddy Joe, Comedian and Senior Editor of MAD Magazine.

Freedom Won!
Freedom to chose - divorce -
as we know, most that marry will go through a usually painful divorce.

Scalia did not ask me, I am still considering myself a hippie, somewhat.
I am still anti-establishment,
I am still for freedom.

But I must admit, it took me a while to come around to the idea of marriage between other then a prince and a princess. That fairytale ideas from childhood had gotten stuck in my head and would not dislodge easily. It was my friend that introduced me 12 years ago to such an outlandish notion as same sex marriage in her thesis for law school. Of course I tried to argue her points. I am still against marriage in principle, but all for voluntary long term relationships, which I admire whenever I happen to come upon one. 


George Harris (82) & Jack Evans (85)
Married in Dallas TX today, 6.26.2015

I do not equate marriage with love.

Marriage is an arrangement and now those seeking legal immigration to the US should have double the choice of partner potential available to them for  a marriage to qualify them for immigration!

What I really treasure is the discovery of the U.S. Treaty of Tripoli: "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion." I am sincerely relieved to have found a legal, valid point to refute the claim that US society is supposedly based in Christianity made by a former Tea Party dog walking buddy. I was surprised to hear that, but did not until today know of a legal answer to his claim. I am sincerely relieved, my thanks to Mary Bonauto, who made the argument in an exchange with Chief Justice Roberts. How odd that Roberts seemed unaware that marriage does not require a religious ceremony and does not have to twist any priest's unwilling heart or arm!

Along the lines of equal rights, our City Council, spearheaded by our gay Mayor, voted for ALL GENDER PUBLIC RESTROOMS meant to provide safe public bathrooms for everyone, despite such a thing seeming to me an oxymoron. There is no real safety in public bathrooms, now is there? It's a place to go in - and out as fast as possible, touching as little as possible. But lockable single rooms will insure that no one will have to listen again to another's conversation from another stall while in the process of doing their business. With gay pride happening this weekend, the LGBT community and our society as a whole has a lot to celebrate.


The one and only John Oliver in his wisdom explains matters to us:


YES!





No comments:

Post a Comment