SUMO 12 Years Old


Today Sumo is 12 years old
which would make him 64 in human years.
My little guy caught up with me!
Yes, this year Sumo aged.
In March Sumo's Vet took an educated guess,
Cancer!
The vet did not expect him to live to June.
But here he is, still among us,
still curious and taking an interest.
But Sumo slowed down a lot, 
sleeps a lot,
seems to conserve his energy
by sitting and waiting,
rather than moving and exploring. 
My high-energy buddy, 
that ran 12 miles in front of 10 dogs
now attempts half-hearted spurts after bunnies.
My formerly fearless guy now gets spooked easily. 
The clanging of his bowl against the brick floor
will make him hesitant about approaching his food.

I got Sumo a big whole chicken as a present.
I boiled it, took off the meat and made the rest into a stew.
I offered smallish size portions through the day,
so I can check how he digests.
Today, I decided to add Isabella's supplement for joints, Connectin,
to Sumo's diet as I had observed an unfamiliar stiffness in his limbs.
Yesterday, we picked up another bottle of CBD oil
it seems to make a difference.
I sure wish we had more scientific research on the medical benefits,
but the anecdotal evidence seems overwhelmingly favorable.
Observing Sumo's changes made me sad - and glad he is still among us.


Taking shorter walks in less familiar places
I discovered this charming entry yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment