Neither Red, Blue or Green

As of yesterday I officially belong to no party. I am neither red, blue or green, despite my having considered an alliance with the Democratic Party, at the height of that glorious sweep of hope two years ago with the election of  President Barack Obama.

It seems as befitting a moment as any to take stock.

The US population is almost up to 310.700,000 which includes 11.2 million undocumented residents. I count as one inside the third most populous nation in the world, after China and India.

I was never convinced the world needed more people and particularly not the propagation of my genes.
More women choose to stay childless, but there is supposedly a stigma attached. Something I never knew and could cared less about. I wish more women had the good sense to abstain from popping out babies when they lack the resources, inner and outer, to properly raise them. Mothers belong with their infants, not away at work. Maternity leave should be a granted right to all new moms. Those that want to jump right back in the fray like Sarah Palin should not have babies. This is not a matter of being old fashioned, but of listening to the intrinsic needs of newborns. A real live warm tit will never be replaced by a bottle, no matter the convenience.

In the US almost 80% are White and supposedly privileged. I count as one of them. Almost 13% are Black and a bit over 15% are Hispanic.

As of 2007 12.6% were foreign born, that includes me.

The United States has a life expectancy of 77.8 years at birth. Over the past two decades, the country's rank in life expectancy has dropped from 11th to 42nd in the world. Shocking, but not unexpected.

Approximately one-third of the adult population is obese and an additional third is overweight. I am ashamed that I have to count myself in, despite daily walks, some biking and no fast food. I never yet had ever a desire to taste a Big Mac.

In 2007 almost 80% considered themselves Christians. I belong to the 16% that do not belong to any religious denomination and want no affiliation with any church. I admire those that due to their faith give of themselves and manage to do immeasurable good. I despise those that despite their religious believes act cruel and selfish.

At the start of 2008, more than 2.3 million people were incarcerated, more than one in every 100 adults. African American males are jailed at about six times the rate of white males and three times the rate of Hispanic males. I have been inside Sing-Sing, but only as a visitor. While I do not use legal or illegal drugs, I wish pot would be decriminalized. Take away the glamor and the incentive for rebellious teens. Let adults make their own choices. Tax dope and reduce the national deficit already. It's time to stop this madness.

Every form of life is precious and deserves our utmost care and respect and reverence. No matter the color, the sex, the status of documentation, the crime or the age. I guess that is what I am trying to say.

All information was taken from Wikipedia. I can not vouch to their accuracy.

2 comments:

  1. Say it: every form of life is precious and deserves our utmost care and respect and reverence. Say it, believe it. All borders are imaginary, but so many lives are lost in battles over borders, in struggles for ownership, in fights for power of one symbol or another. Nationalism is an ugly thing: "my people are better than yours." Ridiculous. We are all in it together. And yet I remain blue in a country where red stands for the death of all I love, where blue is not nearly blue enough, and where green is a fringe, not taken seriously. In this context, in this madness, blue is the only plan that makes any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green will not stay on the fringe for long if more of us demand an alternative with more spine and principles. Thanks for reading and responding Kendall.

    ReplyDelete