Our Valentine

Our Pretty Kitty, Much-Macho Lover-Boy, Saemi, our Valentine, will celebrate his 3 Year Anniversary as he joined our pack on Valentine's Day of 2008.

Bosom BuddyI had seen a flier of a found black cat and had hoped it might be a neighbor's long lost very cute kitty. Well, he was not the one. To boot his rescuer was allergic to cats, while we had mice in our home and  I had wondered about borrowing a cat. Naturally, I was all too eager to bring him home, although I had no idea how that would work with my pups. This cat has no real fear of dogs. He grew up with a Retriever and he clearly can hold his own with any dog.  He chose to stay with us, that is with my two pups, even when his rightful custodian was ready to take him back, 10 months later. Yes, the shelter connected me with a woman that had moved up to Denver and had left him with a friend  of hers in my neighborhood. He was unhappy and on the prowl, seemingly looking for another home. When she came to visit, he took off in to hiding! The first few months he would not leave our home. Every time I opened the door his body would state: 'No, I am not leaving.' 

Within days of his arrival the mice were gone and thankfully he never offered a mouse, alive or dead, at my feet or on top of my bed! This feat alone deserves my unwavering care and affection for the remainder of his natural life. I confess, I am terrified of mice. I had been banging pots and pans throughout the nights to discourage their appearance. Of course I had set up live traps, but only one tiny baby mouse was dumb enough to get caught. I had told my neighbor for a while that I seen mice coming and going from his side of the yard. He denied it all out flat, but his renters confirmed what I always had suspected; a huge, gross mouse nest, close to my entry, but in their yard. One might think dogs would discourage such creatures, but truth be told, my Isabella-girl showed no interest in mice, much less hunting any. On the other hand Sumo did go sniff all along the baseboards and corners responding to my suggestion to go find mice. He looked at me and off he did go hunting. How he knew what I meant from the first moment on is one of the many mysteries I can not explain.

My bosom buddy literally rested on me, while I experimented with close-ups from my new camera. I feel fortunate when I cuddle with my two guys Saemi and Sumo first thing in the morning, each nestled under an arm of mine, as I did early today, while Isabella was still groggy with sleep. I hope you all have a warm body, if you are fortunate maybe two or more, to cuddle up with on this Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment