Happy Birthday President Barack Obama!

Despite all the disappointments in policies stemming from this current administration, I personally still feel enough good will and affection for (and from) President Barack Obama to wish him a very happy birthday with many returns yet to come. 

Well wishes do not make for a personality cult, it is o.k. to join Michelle Obama in wishing President Barack Obama well. Doing so does not denote blind following of a leader, it does not stamp the presidency with our total approval, it only offers a return of good intentions we so clearly can feel and believe in coming from the president we elected.

3 comments:

  1. More than 1 million supporters have signed President Obama's birthday card so far, wishing him a happy 49th birthday (before noon my time.) Have you expressed your well wishes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's the President's 49th birthday, and I just heard how many of you have signed his birthday card so far: 1,266,611 as of this morning
    e-mail from David Plouffe

    ReplyDelete
  3. from my mail box:
    "I want to thank you for signing my birthday card.

    Michelle told me that she was planning something a little different this year, and I was overwhelmed by the kind words I received from so many supporters like you.

    This job has a way of offering humbling moments. And the support you have shown me, time and time again, has sustained me through any number of difficult days. It is more than any president deserves, and I could not be more grateful.

    On my birthday, I spent some time considering what the year ahead will bring -- a new set of challenges and opportunities, some that we can foresee and some that we cannot.

    If we continue to stand together, I know we will continue to move America forward and win these fights for change.

    Thank you again for taking a moment to sign my card. As far as birthdays go, it is hard to imagine topping this one. But then again, Michelle always has a way of surprising me.

    Sincerely,

    Barack"

    Is this for real? Would the President sign with his first name? Odd, but I sure do hope he had a wonderful birthday and felt appreciated.

    ReplyDelete